Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Child Wrangling


Yes. This is a real term. All LORT theaters are required to have a "young actor monitor" or a "child wrangler" present whenever children are in a show. I was the child wrangler for PILLOWMAN, FENCES and in JAW last year. Each time it was for one or two children, but now for CHRISTMAS CAROL there are five kids. All the kids are wonderful and professional, but there are still more of them than there is of me.
My responsibilities include but are not limited to: helping with homework, taking them to get lunch, meeting them when they arrive at the theater and staying with them until their parents pick them up, taking notes, playing hide and go seek, making everyone happy, getting them to their costume fittings, and most importantly making sure they know what they are being asked to by the director.
Because I am also the Artistic/Literary Assistant, taking on child wrangling means working seven days a week and when the show goes into tech and performance my days get long, long, long. So another woman will be taking over for me starting this week. Although, this should make me happy, I am sad that I will not be seeing the kids everyday. I know so much about them and really care about them. It can be really tiring running after five children, but it is always a joy to see them and hang out with them. They make me laugh. I will miss them, but I'm sure I'll see them around real soon.

No comments: