Saturday, February 16, 2008

Oops! I Did It Again...


I am so sorry to you my devoted readers (KXS and Dr. Phun) that I have not written a blog posting in forEVER...omg I have been running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Work (which is also bleeding into my social life, but so it goes in theater) has been busy busy and of course I'm not one to slow down.

NOW HEAR THIS
I totally missed the opportunity to blog about MEASURE FOR PLEASURE by David Grimm, which took place last month on the main stage. The play fit in nicely with our current main stage shows: THE BEARD OF AVON by Amy Freed and TWELFTH NIGHT by William Shakespeare, because it was also a contemporary restoration piece and it was a huge hit. People laughed hard and loud. Even though it lasted longer than we anticipated people were loving it.

February 23rd we will be reading ALL HAIL HURRICANE GORDO by Carly Mensch. It will premiering at the Humana Festival March 13-30th. I'm really excited to read this play because I think it will be a change of pace from our other readings. It is a beautifully intimate piece. Carly is someone who I have just discovered and I look forward to finding out more.

HOLY OPENINGS BATMAN!!
We had three opening nights right on top of each other...THE BEARD OF AVON by Amy Freed, directed by Chris Coleman and then the following weekend we had TWELFTH NIGHT by William Shakespeare, directed by Jane Jones. Both had wonderful openings and are very popular. I would recommend however, seeing BEARD before TWELFTH NIGHT because I think when you see BEARD first it illuminates things you might not have paid attention to before in TWELFTH NIGHT...but this might just be me. Both are strong solid productions.

Then we had our FADE TO BLACK night, geared at getting younger audiences to the theater, the Tuesday after opening for TWELFTH NIGHT. It was amazing because we played Guitar Hero all night. I'm pretty much obsessed with the game. It's a sick sick addiction and I love it.

A few weeks later we had A FEMININE ENDING opening. This production was a part of co-production with South Coast Rep. I am proud that the production is returning home. As you may or may not know, A FEMININE ENDING by Sarah Treem was part of JAW 2006. It certainly captured the hearts of the audience then and it continues to do so now. I highly recommend seeing this show. And check out more of Sarah's writing on HBO's new night series IN TREATMENT. She writes the script for the character Sophie.

COMMUNITY ARTISTS LABS
Sarah Treem and Amy Freed both came to PCS. During their time here they were able to host playwriting workshops. I attended both of them and even though I am not a playwright. They were very inspiring and both had different things to say. Sarah's workshop was about finding inspiration and your voice as a playwright. Amy's was more about how to "unstuck" or "unblock" yourself when you get blocked. My respect for playwrights grew immensely after attending these workshops.

MEANWHILE ON PLANET MEGAN...
I spend my weekends reading JAW scripts, scripts for the reading series, catching up on sleep, seeing shows and grocery shopping for the week. It's pretty pathetic but it's also so me and what I enjoy. Don't worry about me though, because I get my movie and guitar hero time in and keep up on my project runway and Britney gossip. I hope my friends forgive me for the lack of time I spend with them...I do worry about my room...does anyone want to come and clean if for me?

thanks kxs!

No comments: