Saturday, October 18, 2008

Go Porland It's your birthday


And we're going to party like it's your birthday...

I am very proud of the Portland theater scene these days. Last night I saw 'The Receptionist' by Adam Bock directed by Rose Riordan at CoHo Productions. It was fabulous. Chris Murray, Laura Faye Smith, Gary Norman, and Sharonlee McLean starred and they were all incredible. Gary Norman was transformed on stage. You have never seen Gary do a role quite like this. I definitely recommend you check it out.

Last week I saw, 'Wish' by james moore at defunkt theater. Well crafted and hilarious. I was really enjoying the story but then-hang on- it takes a sharp left turn. But don't get discouraged a singing hamster will fill you in in just a second. Another good night of theater.

The next night I saw 'Dead Funny' by Terry Johnson at Third Rail Rep. They have moved into their new space and are hitting it out of the park. It was sold out and the audience loved every moment. I was able to just sit there and enjoy it. Maureen Porter is so lovely on stage, your heart just goes out to her character. You care deeply about the show even if you don't know anything about Benny Hill because you are invested in the characters. I also thought it was smart that the company didn't use the whole stage instead hey built their set just the size they needed. Brilliant.
It warms my heart that there are so many good shows going on right now.

No comments: