Monday, October 19, 2009

Food for Thought.



And then I read this article and this article.

And all this just got me thinking about the role of women in society and how far have we come, in work and in our relationships. A lot of my friends have been getting married lately so it's got me thinking about why it's so important and how does it change a relationship (besides legally of course)? And why does anyone care if two gay people get married? Let them. This argument about marriage being sacred and only between a man and woman is BS. The sanctity of marriage was destroyed a long long time ago by straight people. Besides, most of the gay people I know have stronger, longer, and healthier relationships than some of my straight friends. Enough about marriage, now on to work...

I work in a heavily male populated medium and in both of my recent interviews (go here & here) I have been asked about how my being a woman has influenced my work as a director or on a specific script. I dunno. I am what I am and I direct. I don't understand how the two can be mutuality exclusive.

Maybe it's because my mother always worked, but I knew from an early age that I wanted to be a mom and have a career and I wasn't going to sacrifice one for the other, even though I've been told that someday I'll have to. I'm stubborn, what can I say. So it's nice to see examples or working mothers in the directing field, although they are few and far between.

All this to say that I think people, our government, our employers do need to be a bit more flexible with our schedules our health care (don't EVEN get me started here...but it needs to change in America now. now now.) Because at the end of the day, America we don't have to do everything the same way. The 9-5 the marriage the living in the suburbs. It's much much better to be different and open and accepting of our differences.

I will step off of my soap box now.

No comments: