Saturday, January 2, 2010

Do not wait and at the same time be patient


Every Christmas since I returned to America, I buy myself a new moleskin notebook. At first I was going to keep it as a sacred place to write only about my thoughts about Theatre, plays I've read, shows I've seen, but then I realized that it was also very important to include my own ramblings because the two worlds influence each other and are deeply connected. I could not be one without the other. Once I allowed myself this freedom, I am never without my notebook because it helps me digest the world around me.

I have a special tradition, that when I'm ready to devirginize my moleskin, I take out the best pen I can find and write "A Word of Advice" from Anne Bogart's book A Director Prepares. It's just my way of reminding myself (theater-related or otherwise) to seize the moment but to also be patient. This was originally sent to me by Kristan when we first started dating and it continues to remind me that he supports and encourages me in all that I do. Dating another artist, another director no less, can be tricky, but at the same time the best thing, because no one understands what you go through better than another director, and even better when that person is also your partner.

I just deverginized my third moleskin and I thought I'd share the passage with all of you:

A Word of Advice by Anne Bogart

Do Not assume that you have to have some prescribed conditions to do your best work.

DO NOT WAIT

Do Not wait for enough time or money to accomplish what you think you have in mind.

Work with what you have right now.

Work with the people around you right now.

Work with the architecture you see around you right now.

Do Not wait till you are sure that you know what you are doing.

Do Not wait for what you assume is the appropriate, stress-free environment in which to generate expression.

Do Not wait for maturity or insight or wisdom.

Do Not wait until you have enough technique.

What you do now, what you make of your present circumstances will determine the quality and scope of your future endeavors.

And at the same time, be patient.

4 comments:

Kim said...

thank you

Mead said...

Anne is so brilliant. And so are you, MKG! I've printed out your post and pinned it up next to my desk. These will be my mantras for 2010. A thousand thanks!

Mead said...

In fact I decided just to co-opt the whole thing!

http://meadhunter.blogspot.com/2010/01/tonight-on-planet-earth.html

Julie said...

I LOVE this! I feel a little "out" of the theatre world right now, but I can still apply this to my new life as a therapist and building my ideal private practice. Thanks!